Monday, December 1, 2008

Love Note

I have long wanted to post about judgmental, closed minded folks--especially those found on the extreme right of the conservative party... Yes, I'm talking about evangelicals. I realize that I risk being accused of generalizing and stereotyping and am willing to accept that criticism in advance.

This should be a highly forgiving and accepting people. A group willing to accept all for who they are, in spite of what they do wrong (in the opinion of those doing the judging). A group willing and anxious to restrain themselves from judging those who choose to sin differently than do they. Unfortunately, all too often this is not the case. This gives people of faith consistent with conservative values a bad name.

My case in point:

Without going into much detail, I received this personal note in the mail today along with official work correspondence. It relates to an individual I recently spoke with regarding an incident occurring two years ago. This person's mini-van was rear ended at a very low speed. The damage to the rear plastic bumper cover is so minor that you can't see it in the photos. Let me repeat--you can't see the damage in the photos. And yes, it was inspected, and no, there was not hidden damage. The driver claimed a cracked tooth (no other injuries) requiring a cap--8 months after the accident. My job is to ask for help understanding how such an unexpected thing resulted from this impact. I was given no explanation. I then found myself on the receiving end of the most ridiculous, irrational, incomprehensive, illogical, emotional chastisement/rant I've heard in years. Considering this type of thing happens on a fairly regular basis (to varying degrees) I didn't think much of it. A couple of mutual laughs among friends, and moving on to the next one. Then I get this in the mail (redacted for privacy):


It speaks to the presumptuous nature of the folks I'm discussing. Not only is it completely unfounded, it's also highly judgmental and presumptuous. While I feel the values shared by many conservatives are beneficial to our society, the implementation on a personal level leaves much to be desired in many instances.

I know, it's a judgmental thing to say.

P.S. Don't you just love the hearts? What a nice touch!
P.S.S. The same closed-minded, judgmental types are also found on the far left as well--they wear open-toed sandals all year, don't cut their hair or use deodorant, and talk about stuff like global warming all the time. How's that for judgmental?

4 comments:

Barlow Fam said...

Wow, that's a winner! I too hate dealing with these types of people. Sheesh! I bet you see some really amazing claims. My favorite accident was when I was in college and clipped a parked car on the back driver side, tiny paint issues and cracked reflector. I called insurance to let them know what had happened. (In the snow on the way down a hill, I actually think they were parked in the middle now). Anyway, Insurance called to check on the passenger side door later on. Hmmm... never heard anything else about it ever again.

Oh, too bad you got that letter now, she probably informed Santa! Coal for you. :)

Nancy said...

Dealing with the public is always rough but with your job it's often a lot worse than average.

Jennifer said...

I am sure that you have much more experience in dealing with these types of people. However, I find that they exist in every level of our society. Not just the extremes. They feel they must have the last word; I find it easier just to let them have it. However I do like the involvement of God. He is always a good fall back when you don't really have justice or rational thinking on your side. I would have been tempted to write back a thank you letter for praying for my soul and that I would be doing the same for them.

Joe said...

All I have to say...WOW!!! I am jealous that I do not have a secret admirer like you do. :)